October 28, 2006

Cue and Eh

I've been prepping a few interviews lately, both for Static and WorthPlaying. One of the major things that is keeping me at Static for the time being is the ability to write about things other than videogames. While gaming is still my primary focus, I want to have published work in other areas should I need to bide my time as a local stringer or freelancer while I attempt to set up a career.

I just finished putting together questions for a Q&A with Stephen Randall, deputy editor of Playboy magazine. This is a very cool opportunity for me, and it was offered to me by Mike. It'll be my first contribution for the Print section of Static, meaning that I will have written for every section. Playboy is putting out their third book in "The Playboy Interviews" series of books, so I am essentially conducting an interview about interviews. I thought my questions came out extremely well; when I have time to think about and prepare questions, I usually come up with something solid.

Last weekend, I put together a series of questions about Devil May Cry 4 (PS3) for a Q&A with someone from Capcom, and I was really excited about how it would turn out. Sadly, the article has been shelved for some time, as Capcom has "gone dark" for a while, meaning they've locked the press out of coverage for that title for the time being. I'm bummed; it was good stuff, and a big name title, too.

My next project for WorthPlaying is the first of a three-part series of interviews about Rogue Warrior, a new first-person shooter for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 that was just announced by Bethesda. The first part will be a basic Q&A with their PR rep, while the second (later on) will be with one of the developers. The final part will be an interview with the author of the book the game is based on (he's also a consultant on the game).

I don't know a heap about the game (but I've got fact sheets!), but it'll be an interesting project. I'm hoping to get the questions churned out soon so we can have one of the first interviews out there. However, I don't know if I'll be around for all three parts. My intention is to stay with WP until I find a full-time career, and who knows when that will be. The game ships late next year, so I may not finish all three parts in my time with the site.

0 comments: