January 11, 2008

Better Than Ever

It's been months since I posted any kind of legitimate status update as to what I'm up to these days (professionally), so you might be surprised to hear what/how I'm doing.

- Last weekend, I picked up an unexpected feature project for PlayStation: The Official Magazine. I was offered the assignment at 3am on Saturday, pumped in a solid 16 hours of work over the next day and a half, and turned it in late Sunday night. Pretty awesome. Not only is it my first print work, but they were really happy with it and I'm now in the loop for additional assignments. Anyway, don't want to talk too much about it yet because of the lead times of print -- my work is slated to be in the March issue, which hits stores this time next month.

- Before Christmas, I started writing for What They Play, a website started by a couple of former 1UP Network vets (including John Davison) to help parents with gaming decisions. It's a great step sideways for me, and another way to fill the gaps in my schedule with small assignments that often intersect with other things I'm doing. I've already done about a dozen game profiles for them, and have pitched a few feature ideas and hope to start on one soon. Oh, and I'm covering the four SingStar PS2 games for them in the coming days -- how can you pass that up?

So I'm working really steady these days. In fact, the amount I've earned in the last seven days is equal to about 2/3rds of what I made in the entire month of December -- which had been my biggest month to date. Needless to say, I'll be crushing that total for the month. And I can honestly say I'm a full-time freelancer, not just in amount of daily work but also compensation. It feels fantastic to finally be at this point.

And I'm planning to move to San Francisco by the end of March. I haven't made any significant strides towards finding roommates or whatnot, but I'm dead set on getting out there in the next two months or so. I know I'll be open to better opportunities in the Bay Area, and it's important to me to be a part of this industry -- in person. Plus, I missed out on a significant opportunity this week solely because of my location, though missing it left me open to do the PlayStation: TOM gig (so it's more or less a win-win).

But yeah, that's where I'm at. Pretty incredible.

1 comments:

Anon said...

That's pretty awesome man. You've come a long way.