September 16, 2006

C'mon...

I just submitted my essay response for the mtvU/Billboard contest. Apparently, this third question is the final one, which is kind of a bummer, but it also removes the obligation, which is a plus. I was wondering if they'd still have me submitting to the "Student Voice" contest after graduating in December. I feel really good about this essay -- granted, I felt really good about the last one as well, and it was not chosen. I had previously wondered if they were looking for something specific from our answers; not particularly the best entry, but maybe the one with the expected answer. I hate to sound bitter, but it's a nagging suspicion. Anyway, I'm really hoping this final one works out and I get published in Billboard. If not, it'll still make for a great resume entry, and hopefully I'll finally get that free subscription they promised several months ago...

I told Mike that I intended to do fewer reviews until the PS3/Wii onslaught and he had no issue with it. Our product list has gotten very skinny in the last week, thanks to the addition of several new writers in the last month. I think we've got seven or eight Games writers other than myself, so I'll focus largely on features and working with those guys for the next two months or so. I'll still do some reviews, though likely not as many. I'll do more reviews for WorthPlaying, for sure. Also, I volunteered to do occasional DVD/Book reviews for Static, as to expand my portfolio a bit. I'll be able to choose what I want to review, so I'll just pick the stuff I actually want. Win-win.

The wisdom teeth removal went really well, despite being a "difficult" procedure. One of my molars apparently was curved back in, and the doctor (who does a ton of these) was shocked that I didn't have to take the vicodin. I'm shocked as well; I haven't had a lot of pain, just a bit of discomfort. Still, doc says I should take a couple of days off to relax, so I will be skipping class and the Italy meeting on Monday. I may also skip my morning class on Tuesday if I feel like it. This provides a great opportunity for me to make a dent in Okami, which arrived this afternoon. It's supposedly 40 hours long, and I promised a review for 9/27 in order to get it (so I wouldn't have to spend $40 on it). If I can be 10 hours deep by the end of the day Monday, I should be on good pace to finish it in time.

0 comments: